The Draft Marina Masterplan envisions a link between the city and the marina precinct, complementing Te Ara o Whakatu - Nelson City Centre Spatial Plan, Council’s City to Sea Linkage, the proposed Cawthron Science and Technology Precinct and the Nelson Future Access Project.
As a Council, we are always looking for opportunities to enhance Nelson’s economic and social vibrancy, in turn adding to the wellbeing of our residents. The Masterplan seeks to invigorate Nelson Marina by creating a mix of public access and activities for residents and visitors that enjoy being both on the water and near the water.
It will provide a safe secure haven for boats to be berthed, safe launching and retrieving of smaller trailer vessels, enhanced repairs and maintenance facilities and potentially a dedicated area for the fast-growing sea sports sector, ensuring the mixed uses and water access requirements around the marina are performed in a safe manner.
It will be a place to ride the bike, walk the dog and meet up with friends for a coffee while enjoying a view of the boats. A new people-focused destination for our City.
We now have an exciting opportunity to develop a high-quality marina that attracts economic development, employment opportunities and safe access to Nelson Haven and Tasman Bay for all water activities now and in the future as our population and recreational boating and sea sport participation rates grow.
Environmental and climate change factors are at the heart of the Masterplan and will help drive environmentally friendly and sustainable practices both in the building and development of the Marina as well as daily operations. All design aspects will centre on the reuse of materials where possible, the latest energy efficient designs, onsite stormwater treatment, rain water and solar harvesting and provisions for changing technologies in land and water powered transportation.
The draft Masterplan includes proposals for
the development and improvement of
public amenities and commercial marine
facilities at the Nelson Marina over the
next 15 years, including:
- a new waterfront promenade for walking and cycling to welcome the community to the Marina;
- a revitalised pocket park with views of the boat ramp;
- reconfiguration of the public boat ramp area to address congestion and safer launching of powered vessels;
- new café and food and beverage premises with views of the marina;
- a new sea sports facility for clubs using non-powered vessels located at the northern end of Akersten Street;
- improved car parking via the provision of additional spaces for marina users, electric vehicle charging stations and bike racks;
- a dedicated fuel pier for marina vessels;
- a future-proofed and nationally competitive marina hardstand and new boat hoist to cater for the region’s vessel maintenance needs;
- a new Marine Service Centre which will integrate with the hardstand and support development of a marine industry cluster;
- improvements to marina infrastructure including non-slip surfaces, recycling, energy efficiency and marina water quality;
- reconfiguration of marina berths to meet excess demand for larger berth sizes and ensure the existing water space is optimally utilised;
- plans for future marina extension to the north to increase berth numbers to meet anticipated demand over a 40 year horizon; and
- long term plans for a dry stack to provide efficient on-land storage.
We want to know what you think...
We are seeking public feedback on the Masterplan and the proposed future plans for the Marina.
The public feedback documents include:
- Draft Nelson Marina Masterplan - Planning for the Marina’s Future 2022 – 2037+
- Draft Nelson Marina Masterplan Feedback Document.
Both can be downloaded by clicking on the links above or by downloading from the document library.
High resolution A3 printed copies of the Masterplan are available for viewing at:
- Nelson Marina Office
- Elma Turner Library
- Nightingale Library
- Stoke Library
- Nelson City Council, Civic House, 110 Trafalgar Street, Nelson.
Our preferred feedback method is through this site by filling in the questionnaire below.
Alternatively, submissions can be made by collecting a copy of the feedback document from the locations above or by downloading the Draft Nelson Marina Masterplan Feedback Document, completing and
dropping off to:
Civic House, 110 Trafalgar Street, Nelson,
or posting to:
Nelson Marina Masterplan, PO Box 645, Nelson, 7010.
Submissions can also be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org