The current funding round has now closed.
Young people are an important part of Nelson’s community and represent the future of our community.
Investing in their future well-being will improve outcomes for young people and the community as a whole. Council developed a Youth Strategy in order to guide its work with young people. You can see this strategy here: http://www.nelson.govt.nz/council/plans-strategies...
Council is especially focused on supporting our communities of greatest need. To find out about how we do this please refer to our Community Partnerships Activity Management Plan on our website nelson.govt.nz.
We are inviting expressions of interest from community organisations to develop the active participation and leadership of young people in their communities.
1. Active Youth Citizenship: Youth into Governance
This funding stream focusses on the following:
- Initiatives that equip young people to take up positions on the boards of community organisations or support organisations to become more youth-led.
- Bringing together groups of young people to explore local issues and develop appropriate youth-led responses.
- Priority will be given to established projects that take an inclusive approach and to organisations that can work with young people from a variety of different backgrounds.
$20,000 is available to support youth into governance projects and we expect to fund between one and three projects.
2. Positive Youth Development and Quality Relationships, Connections and Pathways:
This funding stream focusses on working alongside young people who may need extra help or support. Specifically we want to fund youth development opportunities for young people that focus on one or more of the following areas:
- Social isolation
- Housing vulnerability
- Access to work and learning opportunities
- Reducing the impacts of poverty
For more information on our goals across these four areas please see view the Community Partnerships Activity Management Plan on our website Nelson.govt.nz.
$85,000 is available for this work stream and we expect to fund between four and eight projects.
Projects must focus on young people between the ages of 12 and 24 years old.
Priority will be given to organisations and programmes/projects that:
- Focus on a specific community of greatest need or include a diverse range of young people in the project/programme.
- For funding stream two, focus on at least one of the following areas: social isolation, housing vulnerability, access to work and learning opportunities, reducing the impacts of poverty.
- Have a proven track record of working with and inspiring young people in a local context.
- Demonstrate collaboration and connections within the community.
- Include young people in the design and delivery of the project/programme.
- Organisations must have registered charity status with Charities Services (charities.govt.nz), or be able to supply a tax exemption certificate to show they are considered ‘non-profit’.
- Non-profit organisations without this status can nominate an umbrella organisation with this status who has agreed to receive and administer the funds on their behalf. In this case the umbrella organisation would be legally accountable to Nelson City Council for the expenditure and outcome measures of the project.
- Retrospective funding will not be considered.
- The project/activity must provide a public benefit and be open to members of the public within the Nelson City boundaries or benefiting Nelson residents.
- Successful applicants must acknowledge Nelson City Council support in promotional material wherever possible.
What won’t be funded:
- Individual people.
- Individual businesses, government agencies or departments, or political parties.
- Duplication of existing public or private programmes operating close to each other.
- Purchase or improvement of privately owned facilities.
- Funding activities that involve any alcohol, tobacco, illegal substances and gaming.
- Professional fundraising services.
- Activities already completed.
- Public services that are the responsibility of Central Government (e.g. core education, primary health care).
Submission of Interest:
Please submit your expression of interest by 5pm Sunday 19 December 2021
For queries or further information, contact