Latest Project Updates
Latest project updates relating to the Washington Valley Infrastructure Upgrade
To keep our Smart Little City running well, we need to upgrade some of our older infrastructure. This includes our stormwater, wastewater and water supply networks.
We have already undertaken considerable work in Nelson over the last couple of years, and now we need to continue that work in Washington Valley. Upgrading the stormwater, wastewater and water supply networks in this area will have the following benefits:
- Reduce the risk of flooding of downstream properties during extreme weather events
- Reduce the likelihood of sewage overflows
- Improve water supply flows to the Washington Valley and Vanguard Street area
This project will involve:
- The construction of upgraded stormwater, wastewater and water pipelines along Hastings Street and Washington Road.
- Undergrounding of overhead power and telecommunications lines within the road reserve.
- Road improvements, including wider pedestrian footpaths and new bicycle paths for cyclists in certain areas, and some further work to improve traffic safety at particular intersections.
- Resurfacing parts of Washington Road and Hastings street and the lower section of Rentone Street upon completion of the works.
With work of this scale, there will be disruption, so we want to talk with those affected to minimise any impact this might have. We will be in contact in the coming months to share information and get feedback that will help us shape how this project occurs.